Updated October 19, 2023
Welcome to Our Community!
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (Academy) is the world’s largest organization of food and nutrition professionals. The Academy and our members are committed to optimizing the nation’s health by providing scientifically sound nutrition information to the public. The internet is replete with erroneous information about what and how to eat in order to maintain health. The Academy wants to change this and not only be the go-to source for consumers who are hungry for accurate and reliable nutrition information, but also to promote registered dietitian nutritionists as the experts who can help the public successfully incorporate that information into their daily lives.
Academy social media properties exist to share and discuss food and nutrition information and news, such as healthy eating recommendations, as appropriate within the guidelines set forth within our social media policy. Our community knows us for our standard of excellence and credibility in providing timely, science-based food and nutrition information. In keeping with these standards, the Academy has developed this policy for public social media participation. Its purpose is to guide you and protect your privacy and reputation, as well as ours. We look forward to sharing information in our online communities and encourage you to engage in the ongoing conversations. Of course, we realize that not everyone will have the same opinions. Therefore, we must always maintain mutual respect for differing members within our community, even when we disagree.
Debates and discussions about political ideologies, social events, foreign policy and external conflicts are a matter of great importance and concern in the global context, and in particular for individuals whose loved ones are affected or in harm’s way. It is essential to acknowledge that some discussions fall outside the scope and purview of the Academy, and inappropriate or inflammatory content posted to Academy pages may be removed. A professional association cannot and should not restrict or regulate members' social media conversations on their own profiles and pages.
- In order to post on an Academy social media site, you must be 18 years of age or older.
- In an effort to protect everyone’s privacy, you should not post any information or content related to your personal health information, including but not limited to images, health records or any data, on an Academy social media site.
- As a member of our community posting content to any Academy social media site, you are agreeing not to participate in any of the following activities:
- Violating any local, state or federal laws and regulations including, but not limited to, copyright and intellectual property rights laws regarding any content that you send or receive, as stated in this policy.
- Sharing content or material that is unlawful, disruptive, threatening, profane, obscene, defamatory, abusive, intimidating or offensive. Further, you agree to refrain from posting advertisements, solicitations or “spam” of any kind. The Academy reserves the right to determine what material is appropriate for its social media sites. The Academy will remove any material it, in its sole discretion, determines to be inappropriate.
- Impersonating any person or entity, or falsely stating or misrepresenting your affiliation with a person or entity, especially the Academy.
- Sharing any material that is not yours to share or that you do not have a right to make available under any law or under a contractual or fiduciary relationship.
- Transmitting any material that infringes upon a patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights of any party.
- The Academy has the right to monitor, prohibit, restrict or block your access to any of its social media properties at any time and without notice, for any reason, and in our sole discretion. We also reserve the right to remove, delete or block any content or materials in our sole discretion, regardless of whether such material violates the standards set forth herein.
- The Academy may disclose any of your communications or activities, if required, by the lawful requests of federal and state governmental authorities, in relation to Patriot Act requests, judicial or administrative orders, or for the protection of the Academy’s rights. If the Academy must exercise these rights, for any reason, we shall not be held liable by any party.
- Content or material posted on Academy social media sites is considered the property of the Academy. By posting on an Academy social media site, you agree to give the Academy the irrevocable right to reproduce, distribute, edit, transmit, display, create derivative works from, or otherwise use for the Academy’s benefit any and all such content or material for any purpose, in any form and on any media.
- By posting on an Academy social media site, you are acknowledging that you will assume all responsibility as it relates to your security, confidentiality and privacy risks that are inherent when sharing content over the internet. When sharing content via the internet, you should think carefully with respect to your own privacy and that of your family.
- We prohibit the sharing or transmittal of any content that contains product or service endorsements or any content that may be construed as requests for contributions, solicitations or political lobbying that are not part of the Academy’s public policy and advocacy initiatives.
Academy social media sites are not to be used for solicitation of business or health care referrals.
By participating in the Academy’s social media sites, you further agree to accept and adhere to the terms of the Academy’s social media participation policy, as set forth herein. Failure to accept these terms will result in your inability to participate in the Academy’s social media communities.
The Academy will update its social media policy frequently and without notice. The updated policy will govern your usage, and you must remain in compliance until the policy is updated once again. Please check back frequently to review our policy at regular intervals, as we make updates or changes to these guidelines. Your continued use and posting of content on our social media sites is acceptance to any and all modifications to this policy.
Content Advisory: Content on any Academy social media site is for informational purposes only. The Academy does not warrant that the information contained in this web site is complete, accurate or current. This information is not intended to be, nor should it be considered, medical advice. Contact a health care professional for advice concerning a particular health-related condition or concern.
This Public Social Media Policy and Guidelines covers all profiles operated by or on behalf of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and related organizational units, including:
@eatright_PRO on Instagram
@eatrightPRO on LinkedIn
All profiles representing dietetic practice groups (DPGs) and member interest groups (MIGs).
Violations of these guidelines by any of the above profiles should be reported to the Academy for immediate investigation.
Find a Nutrition Expert
Looking for credible nutrition information and recommendations? The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' network of credentialed food and nutrition practitioners are ready to help!